Accounting & Finance
Austin, TX, USA
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2023
Austin Fitness Group (AFG) is a leading Franchisor and Area Developer of Orangetheory Fitness studios. As the second largest Orangetheory franchise group, the AFG team owns and operates 63 Orangetheory Fitness studios across six markets. Orangetheory is a science-based, efficient 1-hour, full-body workout experience. Orangetheory's unique approach combines heart rate zone training with strength exercises, providing participants with a personalized fitness journey within a motivating group setting.
Austin Fitness Group is currently seeking a seasoned and dynamic Controller to join our team. In this key leadership role, you will be responsible for overseeing the Payroll and Accounting functions, playing a pivotal role in financial management within our fast-paced and ever-evolving organization. Reporting directly to the SVP of Finance, the Controller will contribute to financial management and team leadership.
· Oversee all accounting processes, suggesting improvements for best practice & scalability.
· Direct timely monthly and annual accounting close processes in compliance with GAAP.
· Prepare consolidated financial statements for board meetings and ongoing bank requirements.
· Ensure consistent accounting policies and procedures across all business areas.
· Develop and enforce internal controls to maximize protection of company assets, policies, procedures, and workflows.
· Oversee Payroll department and processes, including variable compensation plans.
· Ensure all aspects of tax reporting are filed timely and accurately, coordinating with tax professionals and regulatory agencies as needed.
· Direct all audits, including the annual financial audit and ancillary audits such as workers compensation and payroll.
· Manage insurance and banking relationships.
· Oversee and support accounting team with dynamic leadership that creates an environment of trust and productivity, with a focus on coaching and mentoring.
· Provide technical guidance and leadership to own team as well as other Managers and Functions on issues relating to accounting or accounting dependencies.
· Advanced Excel skills (Xlookups, Pivot Tables, advanced functions, etc.).
· Strong knowledge of GAAP and financial data analysis.
· Strong in internal control practices and attention to detail.
· Strong interpersonal skills with a passion for coaching and mentoring others.
· Demonstrated ability to invest in and develop team members, fostering career growth.
· Self-starter with a proactive approach to identifying and addressing challenges.
· Ability to manage relationships with external parties, serving as liaison with investors, lenders, etc.
· Demonstrates sense of urgency and ability to navigate through organic growth scenarios.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to communicate complex financial issues to non-finance groups.
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE
· BA/BS in Accounting or Finance; CPA is desirable.
· 8+ years of progressive experience in accounting, with 3+ years in supervision or management of an accounting team.
· Previous ownership of payroll department, and experience with multi-state payroll.
· Experience with M&A integration and/or organic growth.
· Experience with process automation.
· Familiarity with Power BI a plus.
· Multi-unit retail and/or franchise experience highly desirable.
· Private equity experience is highly desirable.
· Experience using QuickBooks Online and Bill.com, a plus.
· Leadership: Inspire, coach, and mentor team members
· Adaptability: Thrive in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
· Problem Solving: Identify and address challenges with a proactive mindset
· Collaboration: Foster strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
· Strategic Thinking: Contribute to the development and execution of business strategies
· Process Improvement: Drive efficiency through process automation and optimization
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS
· Traditional office work environment
· May include occasional correspondence with members, sub franchisees, and other partners
· Prolonged periods of sitting or standing at a desk and working at a computer
· May require ability to lift a minimum of 20lbs
Our brand purpose is to help people live longer, more vibrant lives. Our mission is to deliver proven fitness results for a healthier world and to be the trusted global leader of innovative heartrate-based interval training. We need talented people working together to make this happen.
Our people are the lifeblood of our organization. We are a community of passionate professionals committed to More Life. Our culture is engaging, fun and dynamic, and we go All Out every day to provide a premier work environment. By creating a diverse and passionate company culture, our team members are inspired to contribute to the overall success of Orangetheory and create a healthier world.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Orangetheory Fitness, Austin Fitness Group LLC is deeply committed to building a workplace where inclusion is not only valued but prioritized. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating a welcoming and diverse environment that serves the communities we reside in and live life. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, religion, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Austin Fitness Group makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and organizational needs. We welcome your arrival to our team.