Senior Category Manager
Excelligence Learning Corporation.
- Shelton, CT, USA
- 80000-120000 per year
- Full Time
Since we opened our doors in 1992, Really Good Stuff has dedicated itself to providing products and services that help teachers make a difference in children's lives. We've since expanded to include our exciting Steve Spangler Science line, with over one hundred brand-new products created specifically for science and STEM; we're also a one-stop shop for supplying entire schools and districts with bulk purchases at discount prices. Recently, we've also launched the Really Good Box of Stuff, a monthly subscription box just for teachers!
Many of our quality products start with ideas shared from Really Good Teachers around the country. Designed specifically for teachers by teachers, our proprietary products can only be found in our catalogs and on our website. If you are a teacher, childcare center director, or school or district administrator, we invite you to explore our wide variety of fun and creative teaching resources-there's something for everyone!
Our staff is dedicated to providing the best products possible, whether it's developing original ideas, designing our colorful catalogs and website, or filling your orders from our solar-powered offices in Shelton, Connecticut. To learn more about the company, visit: www.reallygoodstuff.com
SUMMARY: Responsible for overseeing, developing, and executing the merchandising strategy and tactical plans for Really Good Stuff, Classroom Tools, Curriculum/STEM sales channels to deliver revenue and margin goals. This role will be responsible for establishing and building out the Merchandising team partnering with Product Development, Sales, Marketing and Purchasing to meet shared company goals. Sr. Category Manager will build up existing associates and recruit best-in-class talent to support business as needed. This role leads the merchandising vision, category management, merchandising presentation on web and print for RGS/Amazon Market places along with promotional planning, inventory forecasts (as needed), marketplace, and retail opportunities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop, communicate, and execute Assortment, Price, Promotions and Visual Merchandising category vision and strategies for Rellygoodstuff.com, Retail and Marketplace Channels
- Drive engagement and loyalty with existing customers, while also attracting new target customers through digital and print channels
- Maintain robust competitive intelligence/insights and provides/actions recommendations on learnings
- Develop new innovative ideas and onboard/test innovative outside product
- Collaborates with management on company goals and guides team to support initiatives
- Report on performance highlights weekly with key insights and actions
- Leverage data and analytics to inform short- and long-term strategies and tactics
- Monitor & analyze ecommerce site with the goal of driving changes and optimization(s) based on inventory, web sales, and retail sales; update consistently based on inventory, newness, and sales trends
- Partner with supply chain and replenishment teams to optimize inventory & fulfilment performance and financials
- Develop, test, and refine eCommerce and channel-specific pricing and promotion strategies
- Contribute to the flawless execution and day-to-day optimization of visual merchandising and product content strategies
- Identify areas to improve site conversion based on a deep understanding of site metrics, industry best practices, the target customer, the competitive landscape, brand, and business goals
- Constantly think creatively and be solution oriented for continuous improvement
- Leverage strong business acumen to prioritize and execute smartly, supporting all decisions with financial and quantitative analysis
- Manages a team of Assistant Category Managers to ensure the product assortments for all categories across all brands are managed and reviewed
- Drive direction, promotion, and growth of company's leading brand through competitive data, sales/margin performance, partnership with product development and strategic vendor partnerships
- Manages team to new items goals. Approves projections, minimum order quantities, competitive pricing, and tracks performance of new products vs. forecast. Works with Category Managers to provide strategies and actions on under-performing skus.
- Creates and manages successful partnerships with existing and new vendors in the marketplace to ensure best pricing, assortment, exclusives, rebates, coop dollars and first to market strategies
- Craft cohesive print and digital strategies to support and optimize peak sales seasons based on historical and category data. Responsible for providing forecasts and communication to cross functional teams to execute vision and ensure in stock levels.
- Approves and manages team on exit strategies of underperforming skus, monitors results and takes addition action as needed to liquidate inventory
- Ensures team adheres to accurate product data, warehouse, compliance labeling, packaging, and quality assurance testing guidelines. Partners with key operational team members to resolve issues and hold vendors accountable for compliance.
- Partner with sales team on product knowledge, customer specific needs and develop internal strategies to promote sales
- Prioritizes and provides clear direction on projects based upon company goals and initiatives as well as with day-to-day functions
- Create timeline for key projects and manage team to meet deadlines
Experience / Requirements
- 5+ years of ecommerce experience required
- 10+ years in merchandising, category management and / or marketing
- Deep knowledge of eCommerce best practices; strong merchandising point of view and the proven ability to link knowledge of branding and target customers to key eCommerce strategy, driving the business
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and excellent cross-functional collaborator
- Team player with no task too small attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Strong analytical and data-driven mindset, with the ability to leverage AI-powered tools for market research and analysis.
- Entrepreneurial and comfortable with ambiguity
- Experience leading and mentoring a team
- Experience with pricing and margin optimization tactics
- Passion for user experience and visual merchandising; no detail goes unnoticed
Excelligence Learning Corp is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees, employment applicants and other covered persons without regard to unlawful considerations of race, color, religion or creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship status, genetic information, military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.