Product Development and Content Manager
Excelligence Learning Corporation.
- Shelton, CT, USA
- 60000-70000 per year
- Full Time
This position is responsible for the development, design and implementation of new products as well as ongoing support of all proprietary products within the portfolio. As part of a product line team within the Merchandising Organization, the Product Development and Content Manager will formulate and develop products, as well as provide content and ongoing support for product sales efforts. In collaboration with the Category Management group, this position will bring classroom and industry expertise to the conversation as products are planned, developed and promoted at the company.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential functions and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Collaborate with Category Management team to formulate products that should be developed and manage product development efforts for grade levels PreK through 5th
- Identify new product opportunities by analyzing the competition and our own product brands and assortments, by watching and analyzing sales trends within our company, and by observing and staying current on industry trends.
- Partner with Category organization to translate product strategy into detailed specifications that will lead to products that meet that need. Oversee execution of product development from concept through to finished goods.
- Execute product development efforts in conjunction with published departmental calendar to meet all deadlines. Evaluate product samples and prototypes through the various stages of development. This includes artwork for the products, final packaging and teacher guides. Must gather feedback from Category Managers and management, and provide constructive information back to vendors, artists and content providers while staying on budget and on deadline.
- Develop and present new concepts for product development consideration for primary and early childhood grades based on outside research (search back), teacher panel feedback, and teacher suggestions.
- Collaborate with department members to develop the best execution for products as well as provides direction to the department on product usages, benefits and design direction.
- Work with Product Management (Sourcing), Creative Services and QA to ensure that accurate product development, goals are achieved, and business risks are minimized.
- Demonstrate ability to negotiate prices and MOQ's to meet company and department goals.
- Monitor and evaluate performance of product and identify opportunities for improved margin, lower costs and extended product life.
- Oversee customer research, including surveys, advisory panel, and local teacher panels.
- Determine if outside resources are needed and manage freelance projects.
- Monitor education trends through a variety of avenues including: review of competitors, TPT, educational magazines, blogs, and volunteering in a classroom a few times per year. Additionally, attend trade shows and/or educational seminars. Seek opportunities for continued professional development. Volunteer in local schools to stay current on trends in the classroom.
- Monitor and review competitor's efforts via catalog, web, and ancillary promotions.
- Act to fully support created products to build awareness and understanding of the products throughout the company and industry.
- Write comprehensive and optimized copy for product to assist channel selling efforts
- Work with social media manager and marketing teams to discuss topics for content and create articles to support those areas
- Participate in content videos that are utilized in digital channels - including Facebook Live
- Write occasional articles for trade publications. Occasional podcasts, webinars, etc.
- Assist with and participate in regular sales meetings to educate teams on product
- Aid, Manage, and attend Tradeshows
- Multi-lingual a plus
BS or BA Degree in education or related field with a minimum of 3 years teaching and/or product development experience in PreK or elementary education.
Strong pedagogical understanding - an understanding of how students learn and best practices in instruction.
Experience in product development.
Strong organizational, time management and communication skills.
Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
Strong writing skills
Must be detail oriented, motivated and self-disciplined
Must have the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment managing multiple projects with rapidly shifting priorities
Excelligence is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees, employment applicants and other covered persons without regard to unlawful considerations of race, color, religion or creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship status, genetic information, military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws.